Thursday, August 27, 2009

No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed!!

Who knew that I would get through my entire childhood w/out a broken bone (w/ exception of maybe my toe), and my daughter breaks her forearm before she turns 2!?!
And so we begin a new part of the adventure in parenting - though I hope this is not a frequent occurance.

Last Wednesday night, Kurt & I were getting Avery ready for her bath and playing (she was jumping) on the bed. Kurt & I were on opposites sides of the bed, but she fell and neither of us could get to her before she slipped backwards off the bed.
Needless to say, she broke both bones in her forearm. Kurt & I felt terrible - of course - but we have come to accept that you can never be too careful, and at the same time that things can happen even if you are "right there".

While driving to the hospital, we asked for God's healing & strength, and wisdom for the doctors. We most requested that He keep her from too much pain. And He so graciously answered our prayer! Avery stopped crying soon after we arrived to the ER, and she remained in good spirits most of the time we were there (talking, laughing....NO signs of having just broken a bone). Another praise was my mom bringing some "minor" necessities (diapers, clothes for Avery, etc) that we left as we rushed out the door, and the great staff that cared for her. All were very accommodating and comforting to Avery...and her nervous parents!

Avery got her pink permanent cast on Monday and she has gone full-force ahead since then. She is expected only to wear the cast for 2-3 weeks, because of the more-speedy healing of childrens' bones. We continue to be amazed at how quickly & well children adjust to change...and pain! Though I know this is such a minor thing compared to many things that people endure, it been a good reminder to me that it is impossible to get through ANY tough situation - big or small - with peace & joy w/out trusting that God is in control and able to provide us exactly what we need to get through it.

"But let all who take refuge in You be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread Your protection over them,
that those who love Your name may rejoice in You."
Psalm 5:11


At the ER -
x-ray showed this.
Our little girl showed this - amazing.

At the doctor.

Avery missed her 1st ballet class because of the incident, so her first class was today. No pink cast is going to slow her down!

10 comments:

sarah watson said...

She is so beautiful and her pink cast is so cute :) My parents always said that accidents can happen even under vigilant supervision...they're right and so are you...we don't control everything, but God does and I'm thankful for that!

Erin said...

First off, those are some sweet pink kicks she has on....and secondly, that is the coolest pink cast EVER!!
Love you Avery girl!

Unknown said...

I love the ballet picture. Perhaps it could be a prop of sorts...at least it matches well.

Amy said...

HEY, so sorry to hear about your little girl. I am just waiting for our first ER trip...has not happen yet!
Your little girl is adorable.

Ronalyn said...

Glad it was minor accident! I am amazed at how she looks so content in the pictures at the hospital before the cast.

I wonder if she will even remember the event when she gets older.....

Tina & Scott said...

WOW - what a brave and BIG girl you have on your hands! So glad all went well! Avery sure knows how to sport a sassy hot pink cast! Love seeing pics of ya'll!

Lindsay H said...

Awww...that's the cutest little girl in a cast I've ever seen!! Avery looks great...I can't wait to hear more about ballet!!

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

Who would have thought a cast could be so cute!?!?!

We love you Avery!

Joie and Kurt Hauschild said...

WOW! Those are inspiring words and it is good to know that children can handle more than we know. The picture of the x-ray and then Avery is priceless! What a trooper!

Rachael and Chris said...

Okay, I know this is weird, but I have tears in my eyes from your post. I don't know if it's seeing the sad little x-ray, her bright courageous eyes, reading your sweet Godly words, or seeing her at her first ballet class. I guess all of the above. You're such a good mama, Nat.